Sickle cell and Plant-based Nutrition
Making the Connection
By T.J. Brown Of Sickle Cell Natural Wellness Group Inc.
About Sickle Cell
- The root cause of sickle cell stems from the inability of the hemoglobin (the oxygen transport molecule), to transfer oxygen to the red blood cells. SCD is caused by a single letter change in the DNA from "A" to "T". Sickle
- SCD makes the blood lack the ability to produce Oxygen. Without the appropriate production of oxygen the red blood cells life span is shorter (10-12) days. Compared to some one that is sickle cell free their red-blood cells last over 100 days. The cells become sickled shaped and stick to each other slowing down blood flow and cutting of oxygen flow to parts of the body. Symptoms include extreme pain, clotting, bone damage, low immune system, difficulty breathing, low blood count, weakness, strokes, ulcers, fatigue, dehydration, yellow eyes, pale skin, dizziness, delayed development, priapism, poor eyesight, lung and organ complications and organ failure and in some cases death.
- The red blood cell flows through the veins, cavalries and arteries, and the entire body on a whole. The life expectancy for people living with the disease is 40 years and most sickle cell patients die before the age of 25
Today’s Treatment Perspective
- IV fluid
- Pain Medicine
Natural Treatment Principles Western medicine Acknowledges
- People living with sickle cell are advised to stay well hydrated. (Purified water, Alkaline water and coconut water)
- Patients with sickle cell anemia should consume a balanced diet containing plenty of fruits and vegetables in order to fight infections, according to the Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention. *Organic
- Patients with sickle cell anemia should eat a high protein diet, according to MedlinePlus.
- The National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, NHLBI, notes that adopting a healthy lifestyle such as proper nutrition is an effective way for controlling and avoiding future pain associated with sickle cell disease. In addition to managing pain, a healthy diet also supports promotes health and overall well-being.
- In addition to proper nutrition, regular exercise and adequate sleep is also recommended for patients with sickle cell anemia, according to the NHLBI.
- Patients with sickle cell disease have increased needs for calories and micronutrients (e.g., vitamins and minerals). A diet emphasizing fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and legumes will provide a greater proportion of essential nutrients than a typical Western diet, and appropriate supplementation (one to three times the recommended intakes for most essential nutrients) can prevent deficiency, according to Nutritionmd.org
Treatment and Prevention Key Points.
- Persons living with sickle cell need to be proactive when it comes to feeding there body with nutrients that will lead to healthier blood cells, less sickling, and longer cell life.
- Vital Nutritients/Phytonutients are said to be; All B complex vitamins , Thiocyanate, Electrolytes, Vitamin C, Chlorophyll, Vitamin A, Carotenoids, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Magnesium, Iron, Folic acid, Antioxidants and zinc.
- Studies indicate that vitamin–mineral supplements of certain nutrients (vitamins C and E, zinc, and magnesium) or treatment with a combination of high–dose antioxidants can reduce the percentage of sickled red blood cells.
- Applying greens, fruits, berries and fluids such as juiced greens and or coconut water with or without chlorophyll has helped alleviate pain and inflammation; it has also raised my blood count.
- Natural foods: natural foods are better for Sickle cell, and are absorbed by the body better. Stay away from processed and junk food. (They clog the veins and arteries, rob the body of oxygen, lower blood count, etc..)
- "Having a balance ph level helps, alkaline levels must be balanced, our normal body pH level is 7.356 on the pH scale. Plant-based foods promote a balanced alkaline level in the body. It is also very important for people with SCD to eat foods rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants fight free radicals, pain, and inflammation it also supports a healthy immune system." - T.J.*Natural Lifestyle* Brown
- Protect your DNA!! Everything that interacts with you mentally, physically, and spiritually becomes a part of your DNA. Protect your body spiritually & emotionally by having a positive outlook on life. Protect your body by the way that you eat and live.
- The proper intake if nutrition can have a very good effect on overall health. Illnesses stem form the body lacking certain nutrients, so if we target the nutrients we lack and digest natural forms of it, the body will become more resistant to the symptoms we would usually face.
Wellness supplements are another way of treating sickle cell with proper nutrition. They can be a daily tool to implement in your daily routine to avoid and treat singleness.
Supplements such as the ones listed below can be sent straight to your door:
Healing Blends "Even Flo"- Contact Acupuncturist Dr. Charlie Ware Phone: 561.929.4454
- Made specifically for sickle cell EVEN FLO has been tested and proved to lower sickle cell crisis frequency, increase red blood cells, relax and open up blood vessels, acts as an anti-inflammatory and decrease pain http://healingblendsglobal.net/product/evenflow/
- Vivify' s Psalms Factor Call: 888.408.9322 Known as the "enemy of blood disorders" this supplement is great for fighting sickle cell, pain, chronic fatigue, and stimulates the immune system.
- Holistic Heights- Visit Holisticheights.com With products such as Sour Sop Leaves, Sea Moss, and Liquid Gold Drops Holistic Heights is a wellness asset to those with sickle cell these products have so many benefits such as cell regeneration, pain reliever, cell wall lubricant, rebuilds cells, calm nerves, increases energy, improves digestion and much more..
Be sure to look into the supplements above and be sure to use these in your defense against sickle cell.
(PLEASE RESEARCH AND READ ABOUT THE PRODUCTS LISTED AND READ THE INGREDIENTS, THESE PRODUCTS VARY WITH RESULT AND YOU SHOULD CONSULT WITH A DOCTOR OR HOLISTIC EXPERT)
LIST OF LINKS YOU WANT GET TO KNOW http://healingblendsglobal.com/m/products
For more information/consultations, to order a wellness basket or to book a speaking engagements or wellness presentations contact:
Sickle Cell Natural Wellness Group Inc.
561 929 4454